Did you know? Poor bone health can cause conditions such as rickets and osteoporosis and increase the risk of breaking a bone from a fall later in life. That’s why you need sufficient calcium to strengthen your bones and vitamin D to help your body absorb calcium. According to research, adults need 700mg of calcium a day. You should be able to get all the calcium you need by eating a varied and balanced diet.
Here is a list of foods that are good sources of calcium:
- milk, cheese, and other dairy foods
- green leafy vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage, and okra, but not spinach
- soya beans
- soya drinks with added calcium
- bread and anything made with fortified flour
- fish where you eat the bones, such as sardines and pilchards